Thursday, July 2, 2015

Social Media and Marriage and Real Effects

Within social media, myself included, there is a huge facade around our lives.  Rarely do I see Facebook posts, tweets, pins, etc. about the screaming kid who spilled chocolate milk WITHOUT a funny spin on it, the desperation of the father working multiple jobs to support his family or the punch in the face that the abused woman just got.

For myself, my biggest facade is the perfection of my marriage.  I love and adore my husband, my children and vice versa.  My husband and I have been together more than half of our lives.  The love has not faded.  We are each other's best friend.  We are thankfully connected on many levels.

With that being said, I have a huge need for social media that may risk our marriage.  It's truly an addiction because I don't see it and its impact on my family.  My husband is not a social media person.  He has accounts for the sake of his profession but they are not updated regularly and probably just has tags from myself.  That polar opposite scenario does not help.  He plays a few games on his phone and that's about it.  However, I'm on it constantly.  CON-STANT-LY.  Look, I'm on it right now, blogging away.  The biggest issue that I know is that I'm more focused on what's going on in other people's lives than my own.

I need to plug in.  Yes, plug in and I'm not talking about my cell phone into the charger.  Into my family, my marriage and myself.  And sometimes that is hard because it's not as easy and fun as clicking the Like button.  The social media is mindless and not needing something or wanting something.  Life is hard.  And social media is my escape.  I shouldn't escape, it's my family!  People I love and adore.  And I don't mean to and they aren't horrible nor is any situation that we have on our hands.

If I was telling you I was stepping back because I had an addiction to pain pills, heroine, cocaine, alcohol, it would be so different.  I know eyes will roll but I truly think social media addiction is going to be the downfall of a lot of relationships, whether it be marriages, friendships.  I think we've all seen it ruin something.

I will still blog, I will still have a social media presence.  But I will have something even better, a truly happy and healthy family to call my own.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, HUGS...great post as usual darlin. <3

    ReplyDelete