Friday, July 10, 2015

Excuses are NOT in Order

I have found myself making excuses that don't need to be made lately.  It surrounds one topic: Tyler going to a community college and not a four year university.

Why am I doing that?  Continuing education is an accomplishment no matter where you go.  So many don't even have the option.  And for others, the option may not be necessary for what they want to do in life.

But I often find that when I speak to other parents I'm looked down upon because she's not going to a four year school.  It sucks, it's the grown up mom breastfed versus formula fed debate.  We all feel like we need to defend our position and how much we love our children and how our/their choices are the best.

The excuses I find myself giving are:

  1. Asperger's
  2. She's not sure what she wants to do.
Both of them are true but they shouldn't be excuses.  They should be reasons that we, as a family, collectively chose her school.  Just like others have reasons they chose another school.  

Proud isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Tyler and going to her school.  That should be the attitude I speak with when talking to others about her future.  She has come so far from the little girl who couldn't even sit at circle time.  

She hasn't loved school in the past.  She may not be thrilled about going but she knows that this may be the best way to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up.  That takes a lot of gumption.  She is scared, she doesn't know anyone there, she doesn't have many friends to begin with and those she knows are going aren't in her classes.  Her class load is heavy but she is ready to tackle it.

Her plan is to transfer and go to a school further away in two years and that's great.  Boy, will I miss my princess.  For the next two years, I'm going to be forever grateful that she is living at home and we can bond a bit more.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn! Visiting from Mom Bloggers Club. The way your name is spelled is exactly the way my grandmother's name was spelled (as opposed to Caroline), so I instantly feel a bond with you ;) I am a new mom, and I completely relate to that kind of pressure and judgment. Sometimes people don't intentionally do it, but they come across condescending about a decision you've made. It is awesome that your daughter has made it so far already! I am sure having Asperger's has not been easy. And it doesn't sound like an excuse to me that she doesn't know what she wants to do yet - that sounds like all the more reason to save money at a community college taking basic courses until she figures it out! I know this comes from a new mom, but having gone to college not all that long ago (5 years since graduation), I wish I had saved the additional money by going to community college for a while. It all worked out well, but that would have saved a lot of hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete